Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday

Wayne reminded me that we still have not officially welcomed our new neighbors with a plate of cookies or something. So, today after church, I decided to make cinnamon rolls. My aunt, Delilah, gave me her recipe. I hope it's okay that I'm sharing it. They are the best cinnamon rolls I've ever had. After they were done, I let Tyler have a small one. His review is the following, "Yeah...good...really good." (scarf, scarf)


Cinnamon Rolls - Delilah Yoder
3/4 cup water, very warm/hot
3 rounded Tablespoons yeast
pinch sugar
Mix and set aside
5 eggs, beat until light and foamy
Meanwhile, heat on stove until "almost boiling":
3 cups milk
1 cup margarine
Add to milk mixture:
1 cup sugar
3 tsp salt
Add milk mixture to egg mixture, then add yeast mixture.
Finally, add 11-12 cups flour. I substituted 2 cups of the white flour with wheat flour. I think I added more than 12 cups. Basically, add flour until the dough is still tacky, but you can work it without it sticking to everything. I used my stand mixer to a point. It just made too much dough to fit it all in there.
Oil a bowl, place dough in bowl and oil the top. Cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down. Let rise again and punch down. Divide into 6 balls. Let rest 10 minutes. Roll one ball out into approximately a 12-inch square. Brush with melted margarine and sprinkle (lots) of cinnamon sugar. Cut into 1-inch rolls. I was never told this, but they look much better if you trim off the very ends and don't use them. Well, actually when I was all done, I put the ends in another pan and baked them like monkey bread. Also, don't seal the edges and roll loosely. It makes for rolls that lay more nicely. Place into a greased pan. (I used 6 8-inch foil pans). Continue with remaining dough. Let rise again. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown (or until internal temperature reaches 170-190 degrees). Let cool on cooling rack.
Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup half and half (plus more)
2 pound bag powdered sugar
Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil on low heat. Boil for 2 minutes. Add half and half. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Cool - but you really don't have to wait too long. Add powdered sugar and beat to make it more fluffy. If needed, add extra half and half. (I added more). The consistency should not be too thick -almost runny. Spread over cinnamon rolls.

I made 1 1/2 the recipe and had plenty of frosting leftover, but I love frosting and wanted to have enough. I felt my butt getting bigger as I sampled them, but they are yummy.

1 comment:

Liz said...

those look SOOOO good! i have to try the recipe!