Thursday, July 31, 2008

Oatmeal Cookies

I love baking. Last week, I made chocolate chip cookies. I felt I had to try them because, the author of Orangette gushed and gushed. And I quote, "In fact, it is, without a doubt, the best chocolate chip cookie that I have ever made at home. It is also the best chocolate chip cookie that I have ever eaten. It scares me a little to make such a bold statement, but I have decided to do it anyway. " So, if you're in the mood for a new chocolate chip cookie recipe, I recommend following the link and giving them a try. I will make them again, though the next time I'll probably leave off the sea salt or only put a couple grains on each. It weirded Wayne out a bit.

Yesterday, I was in the mood for a tried and true recipe, one that didn't require a day or two of refrigeration before enjoying them. This is a Martha Stewart recipe that I wrote down years ago. I love using both Heath toffee chips and chocolate chips in this cookie. They're chewy and crunchy. Enjoy!

Oatmeal Cookies - Martha Stewart
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature (I used 1/2 margarine, 1/2 butter)
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups rolled oats (quick cooking)
1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
12 oz chocolate chips, 1 1/2 cups golden raisins, or 10 oz toffee chips
(I poured in 12 oz chocolate chips and about 1/2 bag of toffee chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat sugars and butter until creamy and fluffy. (About 5 minutes). Mix in eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and add at a low speed, just to combine (10-15 seconds). Stir in raisins, chocolate and/or toffee. Bake until golden brown and just set.
18 minutes for large (2.5 oz) yield 13 cookies
14 minutes for small (1.25 oz) yield 3 dozen
(12 minutes for my size - a size 60 scoop - about a tablespoon - yield about 6 dozen or so)
Let cool for 4-5 minutes on the pan before moving to a cooling rack.





No comments: