Friday, July 11, 2008

Black Widow

We were cleaning out our garage a couple of days ago and discovered this big black widow spider. It was very big, though it's kind of hard to tell from the pictures. I was feeling like a wimp because I asked him to come out to take care of it, but after his reaction (surprise and caution), I was glad I had.

Wayne caught it and put it in a jar. He pulled it out to see it put out webbing, then back into the jar. We released it by the side of the road (across town) last night.



I was trying to take a picture of the red hourglass on it's underside - but I was scared to get too close - so it's out of focus.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewwww! I would have been none too pleased to come across a spider like that!!!

Carrie said...

I'm pretty sure I would have crushed that particular arachnid with a fast and heavy, heavy shoe. :)

Melissa said...

GROSSSSSSSSSS! i probably would have died. i once had my elderly grandfather come over from next door to kill a spider in the house. i think that's more pathetic than calling your husband over, so you can feel good about your decision. ;)

StuckeyBlog said...

Don't worry - that wasn't as bad as when we were in Indiana. I found a couple of spiders in the bathroom after I was already disrobed. I put a towel around me and called for mom to come kill them (yes, wimp central right here), but she didn't hear me. Poor Ted, my father-in-law, came to my rescue!!