Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Quiche

Tonight we had one of Wayne's favorite breakfast foods for dinner, quiche. I don't remember anymore where I got the recipe, and I usually alter it from the original recipe anyway, but I like to have a base to work from.

Quiche
9" unbaked pie shell
2 c chopped tomatoes, green beans, onions or mushrooms
1/2-3/4 c chopped chicken, sausage, ham, bacon or ground beef
1/2 t dried basil, sage, thyme or oregano
1 t salt
dash pepper
1 c grated Swiss, Cheddar, or mixture of whatever you like
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 T flour
1 c evaporated milk (or I've used a little milk and/or cream if I don't have it)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake pie shell 10 minutes.
Lightly saute veggies and meats (or not - I didn't saute anything tonight). Spoon into pie shell.
Sprinkle seasonings, salt and pepper on top. Cover with cheese. Combine egg, flour and milk. Pour on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until set. Let cool at least 5 minutes before cutting/serving.

I'm not much of a pie maker - that's probably why I love the pie crust I found. It's easy, turns out well, and is very tasty! I got it from a Food Network recipe for an apple pie. I will give the original recipe which is for a double crust, but I only made half (1 crust) for the quiche.

2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking powder
2 sticks cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/2 t salt
About 1/3 c ice-cold water

Put the flour and baking powder in a bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the cold butter cubes and pulse a few times until the mixture begins to become mealy and the butter forms plainly visible pea-sized nuggets.

Dissolve the salt in the water. With motor running, pour the water in and let mix until the dough pulls together. Do not over-mix dough.



I also dipped our strawberries in sour cream then brown sugar. It is a very yummy treat.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My goodness! When do you have time to make all this yummy food??? :)