Friday, May 30, 2008

Day with Grandpa

I feel as though I should preface this entry with the disclaimer that I'm a dork. Officially. (I know you have thought it before, so I'll beat you to the punch). :) No, really, I took pictures of any and everything this Wednesday. Grandpa Norm had quite a day planned for Tyler, and they had quite a ball!


We started our day with a little work around the house. We headed to Shipshewana to eat breakfast at the sale barn (livestock auction) restaurant. Unfortunately, we arrived at 10:15 and the cutoff for breakfast during the flea market season is 10 am. Who eats lunch already at 10 am? I did! I had a pizza burger. Just because I remember eating pizza burgers at the old drive-in in downtown Middlebury when I was in kindergarten. Ahh, memories. Unfortunately that little drive-in which is on the creek, is now a used car lot. Go figure.

(Tyler and Dad had a fried egg sandwich - pretty close to breakfast if you ask us)!




Mayo-smiles





We enjoyed looking around at the flea market. Tyler a.k.a. petunia head.




Tyler's jacket was in the dryer when we left, so he borrowed Grandpa's fleece vest during the cool morning hours.


After I purchased my $2 sunglasses, $1.25 gardening gloves and a few $1 dinosaurs, we stopped for a root beer float. It's a rough life.






Actually, for Tyler it was getting a little rough. He was getting tired!




We stopped over at the sale barn to watch some bidding on cows. It's an interesting crowd.







We walked around to look at the livestock that were going to be up for auction during the day.



Ty was pretty cautious walking around. That was a relief to me - it's not exactly kid-proof!




I had forgotten how big it is.




As I took this picture, the dialogue in my head was something like, "What has happened to me? I never thought I would be taking this picture. I am such a tourist!!"



Dad and Tyler went to watch a truck full of cows unload.



Ty was pretty excited about it.



Then we headed home. Grandpa had to finish grading the lane. Tyler and I got a ride on the tractor with him.







Heading out the lane.





Here is the behemoth Montieth Tire that was recently built at the end of Mom and Dad's lane (and was fought by Mom and Dad and neighbors, but obviously was overruled).










Grandpa and Tyler getting ready to take out the trash.






The cherry picker.



Dad and Tyler going up, up, up.




To trim the tree.



By the end of the day, Tyler's allergies were driving him crazy. His eye was bothering him so badly, it felt best just to keep it shut. Mom rocked him briefly to keep him comfortable and, by accident really, he was quickly asleep (at about 7:15 pm, while we were eating dinner). Tonight was the 3rd night this week he has gone to sleep so early. Never before in his life has he done this and stayed asleep all night. I think we are really tuckering him out. But he is having great fun!

No comments: