Saturday, May 3, 2008

Biking Adventure

During the middle of the day, there was a cold wind and I wouldn't say it was pleasant outside. However, by this evening, it was beautiful. So, Tyler and I went to the Sedgwick County Park, which is within a mile of our house, so he could ride.
It took what felt like forever for him to get down the five foot sidewalk connecting to the path. He was very scared of going too fast, so he put on the brakes (over and over) as soon as he started moving. At the beginning, we were going so slowly that I thought we may not making it out of sight of the car. Luckily, I was wrong.
Here he is, concentrating!

The longer Tyler rode, the more confidence he had. I asked him several times if he was ready to turn around, because I didn't want him to get too tired to make it back.
He said, "I will never be too tired."
He likes to use words like never and forever. For example, " Mommy, I want you to stay here forever." And when he is racing me, "Mommy, you will never win." One day I asked him what forever means. He said it means "precious and cute." He can now tell me the correct meaning, but still uses it...a lot.

The last time I asked whether he was getting tired, he said he wanted to ride until we got to the playground. Luckily, (even though I didn't know it) we were a minute away from a new "play scape" that is still being built. We had a great time! Here he is, taking a rest.


When Tyler got back on his bike to go home, he was looking tired and I heard him say to himself, "aww, come on dude!"

What stopped him quite often was his need to have his feet on the side of the pedals that had little stickers on them. He would study his pedals for long enough that many times I thought he was going to run off the path. I couldn't convince him that the bike would work the same, no matter which side of the pedals he had his feet on. Here he is, one of the many times he was looking down instead of looking ahead.



On the way back, he was going much faster than he had before. Sometimes I had to run to keep up. Several times he stopped because he was "out of gas." He resisted my offers to help push him along. He would wait and rest, then say he was "filled up with gas again" so he could go.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so cute! Before you know it, he'll be riding fast like his daddy. :)

Kathy Beachy said...

I'm sure he had a lot of fun. His actions sound so much like Brennan.

Lynette Polinder said...

What a little stinker.