Monday, May 19, 2008

Grandpa

Saturday, Tyler and I went to visit my Grandpa, David. He is now too weak to feed himself, but can drink from a straw and will eat if someone feeds him. He was finishing lunch when we arrived (the aide was trying to wake him to eat some more). But he was just too exhausted and couldn't stay awake. I first ran into Elaine Yoder (pictured with Grandpa). She and another staff member had lots of very nice things to say about Grandpa and his sense of humor. They both said he had changed a lot recently...he is more and more confused, sleeps more and more and is much weaker. Grandpa slept the entire time we were there. (Thus, the only pictures I have are of him sleeping). I'm still glad we went; it had been way too long since I've seen him.


Most of the time I was there, I felt sad and choked back tears several times. I was surprised by feeling that way. I wouldn't say I felt like I knew Grandpa that well, but I missed seeing the Grandpa that I did know. I see him as a man with wisdom, who I always felt deserved respect and admiration. I love his sense of humor, which was usually subtle.

Before we went in, I tried to talk to Tyler about appropriate nursing home behavior (as if I know). The first lady who talked to him was very friendly and he just stared at her... until I said he was shy. He perked right up and told her that he is "3 and 1/2" and chatted a little bit. When we walked away, he told me, "I am not shy."

Overall, Tyler did really well - other than at lunch when he kept telling me to look at the (droopy/closed) eye of the lady sitting next to us. Luckily, I don't think she could hear very well.




Tyler being silly in the backseat on the way home. He was quite the little singer.

2 comments:

Lynette Polinder said...

Man, its really sad to see Grandpa looking so weak and tired. I'm glad you were able to go and spend time with him even if he did sleep the whole time.

I can't wait to hang out with Tyler and hear all his silly thoughts myself! I think it is quite humorous about the little ladies droopy eye. Kids just say things like they are.

Kathy Beachy said...

He's not my Dad or Grandpa and it still brought tears to my eyes to see him like that. Quite different from when we last visited him.