Saturday, January 31, 2009

Enchiladas Con Pollo

There's something about cold weather that makes me want to stay home and cook! However, between working on leftovers and eating out a couple of times, I haven't gotten to make all of the recipes that I was planning on this week. I still plan to make them in the next few days. I won't give you a blow by blow of our daily meals, and I don't have all of the recipes written down. But in case anyone else likes finding new recipes to try, read on.

We have made the Absent Cook Stew twice now (only once this week), inspired by my second-cousin, Kim. We used her additions as well as mushrooms and a little sherry. Wayne really loves this recipe and is now finding more crock pot recipes to try.

Another night, I made Enchiladas Con Pollo from the Women of Great Taste cookbook (Junior League of Wichita). I love just about anything with green chilies!

Enchiladas Con Pollo
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 can (4 1/2 ounces) green chilies
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste (I think I added 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
12 (8-inch) flour tortillas (At 10 tortillas, I ran out of filling and my pan was full, so I stopped there).
4 cups cooked, diced chicken breast
4 cups (16 ounces) grated Monterrey Jack cheese, divided
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced (I didn't have these, but it would have been good)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 13x9-inch casserole dish. Melt butter, add flour, stir until smooth and cook for one minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Stir in sour cream, green chilies, salt and pepper. Pour half the sauce in the bottom of prepared pan. Soften tortillas in microwave for ten seconds. Combine chicken, 2 cups cheese and 1/2 cup onions. Place 1/2 cup of chicken mixture on each tortilla. Roll up and place in baking dish seam side down. (Good luck with not dropping a little of the filling on the way to the pan as I seemed to do with every one). Pour remaining sauce over top. Bake uncovered for 2o minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and onions. Bake for 5 minutes.
Serves 8-10.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

sounds yum! i'm going to try it with some of my 20 lbs of chicken!