Saturday, September 6, 2008

Politics

Politics and religion. The two things to avoid talking about because they always spark controversy and disagreement. This morning, I just can't help myself.

I've been enjoying the excitement surrounding the upcoming election. I enjoy reading Sarah's blog who recently added some interesting articles and has been blogging a lot about the election. I enjoyed a relative's blog post(who I will keep anonymous because the post now appears to be deleted). While I can't quote it, I'll summarize one point that stuck out to me. While some Republicans present themselves as the "Christian party," specifically due to their pro life stance, there is simultaneously a justification for the thousands of lives lost in the war. This irony is frustrating to me as well as the infuriating belief held by some that if you are a Christian you must also be a Republican.

I enjoyed a clip from the Daily Show from September 3 following a link from barkdust, who I also enjoy reading. This morning, I also enjoyed this clip from last night's Daily Show.

I am, perhaps obviously, an Obama supporter, but since (at least in my family) we have some varying political views, I try not to talk about it too much. I wanted to share these clips for those of you who may also enjoy them.

5 comments:

Kathy Beachy said...

Ok, I admit that relative blog post was me. I was just like you, I had had heard enough that day and it just spilled. However, you put my thoughts in much better words than I had. I woke up in the morning and wasn't sure I was up to anyone challenging me on my thoughts and decided to delete it before anyone read it. I guess you beat me. Thanks for summarizing my thoughts!

StuckeyBlog said...

:) I was just re-reading what I wrote because I was probably feeling the same anxiety as you did about not wanting to offend. Thanks, Kathy.

Melissa said...

amen sisters to both of you

Carolyn Miller said...

I have to admit that I don't agree with my own daughter on this one. How does Obama's compaign line up with the Bible? Do you believe there are many ways to God, or that same sex marriages are okay?

I don't think our decisions should be made on party lines, but on the personal belief systems of our candidates. No one likes wars and yet they are listed in your Bible. I have many friends who have been to war, not because they liked it, but because they fought for your freedom.

The Democrats do not "have an edge" on peacemaking. I have a hard time with Obama's personal belief system and it scares me to live in a country led by his belief system. I hope I am proven wrong.

Timothy Miller said...

I cannot endorse any party. Jesus seems to be for the poor, for infants, against injustice of all kinds, and if anything a bit sassy toward the wealthy unless they are generous.

But I will NEVER vote for a pro-choice candidate. I like Obama better as a person and as a speaker but...

48,589,993 babies murdered in our country since Roe v. Wade.

I just can't do it.