Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Staining....Staining...Staining...

All of the cabinets in our house needed some love. I'm about 99.9% sure that they haven't been touched since the house was built. A blogger gave me the confidence to give it a try - we started with the fireplace and one bathroom. Then decided to simultaneously do the remaining 2 bathrooms and kitchen.
 
For about the first week I thought I might be crazy. By the end of last week, I was convinced I was crazy. Lots of time in between, thought, I thought it was kind of therapeutic.
 
I tried applying stain with a sock, and with a foam brush. For different parts of the project, different methods worked better.
 
Also, I now love General Finishes. Love.
 
I also love that we have hardware now. It makes me happy to look at it. I'm weird.
 
I forgot to take a "before" shot. Soooo, here's a picture of some food, but you can see the cabinets in the background...
 
 
Crazy Wayne with the upper cabinets in the background...


After we took all the cabinet doors off, we remembered the "before" picture...if that's remembering...


The first coat of stain/ our garage operation...


I thought we looked pretty cool (or something) with our awesome headlamps while we re-installed the cabinet doors.


As of today, nearly everything is back in the cupboards and I can find things again!! :)


3 comments:

The Hartsocks said...

Wow!! That is amazing! I have seen the pin that inspired you, and have wondered how it would work. Would love to do our kids' bathroom . . . Your kitchen looks SO different - love it!

Rachel Kathryn said...

It looks so good!! Can't wait to see it in person. Great work, guys! :)

Renita said...

Your energy makes me sick, Melly. It seems like you are constantly remodeling and changing things up. We are still trying to finish our basement from 11 years ago. That's the Renita way of saying, good job. Your kitchen and fireplace look fabulous! You love black! It makes it look way more modern! I love it! Good job staying sane. If you still are, that is.........