Sunday, May 5, 2013

Quick Salted Caramel Buttercream

Salted caramel seems to be all the rage these days. My new favorite chocolate cupcake recipe is definitely a keeper. The salted caramel frosting recipe she posted to go with it took me about 4 tries to get it right. It was way too finicky for me. So, I thought it only right to share this family recipe for caramel frosting that is MUCH simpler, and (at least to me) tastes just the same as the much more complicated version.

Quick Salted Caramel Buttercream
1/2 cup butter (I use salted butter)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 3/4-2 cups powdered sugar

Over medium heat, melt butter, add brown sugar. Bring to a boil over low heat and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk, continue stirring until it returns to a boil. Remove from heat and cool. Beat in powdered sugar until desired consistency. To make thicker, add powdered sugar. If you want to thin it back out, add a little milk.

Delicious slathered on chocolate cake and cinnamon rolls.

No comments: