Sunday, April 14, 2013

Carrot Cake

It's been so easy to just take pictures on my phone and post them to Facebook, that I have neglected updating my blog. The biggest reason I want to keep up my blog is that I use my blog like a scrapbook...and print it off at the end of the year to preserve memories for Tyler and Aubrey.  So, I'll try to get caught back up...

I also want to make sure I blog some recipes so that I don't lose them...Sometimes, especially recipes I don't make often, it's hard for me to remember whether I have a recipe on Pinterest, in a cookbook, email or somewhere else. :) A few years ago, Beth Rizza gave me her recipe for carrot cake. I love it! I have made it the last two years for Wayne's birthday. He doesn't eat cake...unless it's carrot cake. Beth's recipe notes say it all, "This cake takes extra effort but it's well worth it. Very moist."


 
Buttermilk Carrot Cake
-Beth Rizza
 
2 c all-purpose flour
2 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
3 large eggs
3/4 c vegetable oil
3/4 c buttermilk
2 c sugar
2 t vanilla extract
8-oz can crushed pineapple, drained
2 c grated carrots
1 1/2 c shredded coconut
1 c pecans, chopped
 
Buttermilk Glaze:
1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 c buttermilk
1 T light corn syrup
1 t vanilla extract
 
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 c butter, softened
8-oz cream cheese, softened
1 t vanilla extract
2 c powdered sugar
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease three 9-inch cake pans and line with waxed paper; set aside.
In a small bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add oil, buttermilk, sugar and vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture, pineapple, carrots, coconut and pecans; stir well. Pour into pans, bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. While cake is baking, prepare Buttermilk Glaze. Remove cake from oven and slowly pour glaze over hot cakes. Cool cakes in pans until glaze is totally absorbed, about 15 minutes. Turn out of pans and cool completely on wire racks. Prepare cream cheese frosting; frost and refrigerate until frosting is set.
 
Buttermilk Glaze: In a small saucepan, melt butter then add sugar, baking soda, buttermilk, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
 
Cream Cheese Frosting: Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add vanilla and powdered sugar.

No comments: