Sunday, April 14, 2013

Thanksgiving Pies

What!?! It's not Thanksgiving!!! I know, but I failed to blog about these at Thanksgiving when I made them. It's always such a busy time of year and I always forget to take pictures of them. So, even without pictures, before moving on to "life," I want to post my Aunt Anna's Pecan Pie and the pumpkin pie I make every year. I started to panic at Thanksgiving when I couldn't find the pecan pie recipe. I did find it, but I don't want to panic the next time I make it.

Pecan Pie
- Anna Herbes

1 uncooked pie crust (in 9-inch deep dish pie plate)
1 cup pecans (I usually chop them)
3 eggs, beaten
1 c sugar
1 T flour
1/2 t salt
1 c light corn syrup
2 T butter, melted
1 t vanilla


Pour pecans over crust. In a mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients and just beat to combine (do not over mix). Pour mixture over pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. It will be golden brown and still look liquidy when you pull it from the oven. Let cool on wire rack. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. (At least I do). :)


Double Layer Pumpkin Pie

Graham Cracker Crust (Martha Stewart)
  • 6 1/2 ounces graham crackers (12 crackers), finely ground (1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 1/2 ounces (5 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined.
2. Firmly press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie dish. Bake until edges are golden, 12-14 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack.

Pumpkin Pie:
8-oz cream cheese, softened
1 T milk
1 T sugar
1 8-oz tub Cool Whip, thawed, divided
1 cup milk
1 15-oz can pumpkin
2 pkg (3.4 oz each) Jello instant vanilla pudding
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t ground cloves

Mix cream cheese, 1 T milk and sugar with a wire whisk until blended. Gently stir in 1/2 Cool Whip. Spread into crust.
In a large bowl combine 1 cup milk, pumpkin, pudding, and spices. Beat with a wire whisk for 2 minutes or until well blended. Spread over cream cheese layer.

Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. Cover with remaining Cool Whip. Store leftover pie in refrigerator.

No comments: