Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy First Day of Spring

We had a gathering this evening to celebrate the first day of Spring. Well, actually, we just wanted to have friends over before the end of Spring Break, so it was a good excuse. Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures. But, we did have a good time.

We made waffles with lots of toppings. Our toppings included sausage gravy, hot peaches/sauce, peanut butter, yogurt, strawberries, whipped cream, and of course butter and syrup. (Thanks, Mom and Dad for our New Year tradition - I thought fondly of home while I was preparing and eating our meal). It was also a good excuse to buy a new Cuisinart waffle maker. The one we got for our wedding has long ago stopped working. To go with our waffles, our friends brought egg casserole, fruit, and mimosas. Yum! Breakfast for supper is always welcome!

And we followed supper by chatting and playing Catch Phrase. A game that I really enjoy, but always reminds me that I need to go back to school and re-learn a lot of history and geography!

The waffle recipe I used is a recipe passed down by my paternal grandmother, Laura (Wagler) Miller. And, it's the waffle recipe my mother has always made. It's simple and uses ingredients I (should always) have on hand.

Waffles

1 3/4 cup flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
2 egg yolks
2 beaten egg whites (beaten to stiff peaks)


Mix in order given. (Dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients). I added a little vanilla extract - probably 1 teaspoon. Last fold in beaten egg whites.
Makes about 10 1/2-cup waffles

No comments: