Sunday, July 25, 2010

Raspberry Salad

My sister-in-law, Rachel, made this salad for us when we visited this summer. I loved it so much that think I may have had thirds. She got the recipe from a cookbook we both have, and it just so happened to come from my mother-in-law, Sue. Rachel substituted strawberries for raspberries and did not use raspberry vinegar.

When I came home, I couldn't find raspberry vinegar either, so I made it with balsamic vinegar and I really liked it. However, when I raved to Sue about her recipe, she highly recommended making it with the raspberry vinegar. After she explained how easy it is to make, I decided to give it a try.

I took a 12-oz Ball jar and filled it halfway with frozen raspberries. Then, filled it up with white wine vinegar. I stuck it in the refrigerator for a few weeks. I would guess you could just store it in a cool dark place as well.

Today, I enjoyed this salad for lunch. I have to agree with Sue. The raspberry vinegar adds delicious flavor and pretty color. Yum!

Raspberry Salad

Dressing:

1/3 cup vegetable oil

3 T sugar

2 T raspberry vinegar

1 T sour cream

1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard


Salad:

3/4 lb fresh spinach, rinsed well and drained

1 c fresh raspberries

3/4 cup whole toasted pecans

2 lg kiwi, peeled and sliced


Whisk together dressing ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, for at least an hour. Mix salad ingredients together and drizzle with dressing. Makes 4-6 servings.


(I used the fruit I had on hand - strawberries and frozen blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries).

No comments: