Saturday, April 10, 2010

Strawberry Pie


I got more done than I had anticipated today, with the beautiful spring weather and a cooperative family. So, I'm tired. But, before I head to bed, I wanted to share the recipe for this Cream Cheese-Strawberry pie. (I left off the coconut - it just wasn't what I had in mind). I'm not much of a pie-baker, so ignore the ugliness of my crust (it did taste good, promise)! :)


CREAM CHEESE - STRAWBERRY PIE 
ONE 9-INCH PIE:

1 prebaked 9-inch pastry shell OR Graham Cracker shell
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. powdered sugar

STRAWBERRY FILLING:

1 box fresh strawberries
1/4 c. water
2/3 c. granulated sugar
4 tsp. cornstarch
Whipped cream

1. Use a store-bought pastry shell or prepare and bake your own according to your own recipe. Cool.2. Blend cream cheese and powdered sugar. Spread in bottom of pastry shell.
3. Rinse berries, hull and sort, reserving largest and best berries. Crush enough remaining berries to make 1 cup.
4. In small saucepan, mix water, granulated sugar and cornstarch. Add crushed berries. Bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Cool.
5. Press whole berries, tips up, into cream cheese. Spoon cooled strawberry mixture evenly over berries.
6. Chill for 3 to 4 hours.
7. When ready to serve, top pie with whipped cream or serve cream alongside.



2 comments:

Melissa said...

Y
U
M
!

Beth said...

We had strawberries & asparagus this week too.
Shortcake & steamed.
Love the taste of Spring!!