Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas 2009

Because of my due date being January 6, we were unable to travel this year. Normally, the week before Christmas is a flurry of making lists, wrapping, packing, and all that's entailed in being away from home for a couple of weeks or so. Then, we set out as soon as I get out of work and drive, drive, drive to see family and friends in Illinois and several parts of Indiana.

This year has been decidedly different. I realized the week before break that my only concern was whether I had planned something special for our family so that Christmas didn't feel like just another day of the week. So far, the two weeks off from school feels much longer than normal. I've enjoyed the down time, with lots of time to relax.

The week before break, it was very cold. Tyler and Wayne enjoyed freezing water to make a big ice block that Tyler used as an ice hat.

Early last week, Tyler and I spent a couple of hours at the zoo. It was good to get some time outside while the weather was in the 50's. The next day, we spent an afternoon at Exploration Place (our local science museum for kids) with some of our closest friends. They boys loved the time at the water table.

Afterward, we took Tyler for his second H1N1 vaccination. It is putting it mildly to say that he was not a fan. This was his 4th separate vaccination appointment in a 2 month time span...I think that was the problem (as well as the fact that he had to have the injection of the H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccine instead of the mist). Anyway, I'm glad he's done with vaccinations for awhile.
Christmas Eve, the weather changed decidedly. It was very cold, with winds around 50 miles per hour, and it snowed. (Though it was a measly amount of snow - around 1-2 inches, it's better than nothing). It has been very cold since that day too, so the snow has stayed around. I love that we had a white Christmas. The cold has meant that I don't feel like getting out too much.
That day, Tyler and I worked on a gingerbread house.

That evening, we opened our stockings. Then we watched a Christmas movie, Tyler put on his new pj's from Grandpa Miller's and we slept by the Christmas tree.

Christmas morning, we enjoyed brunch together, then Tyler opened his presents. Grandpa Ted came over to join us for Christmas day and Saturday, along with a large cooler of food and some things to do. Wayne and I enjoyed going to see a movie, Up in the Air, while Grandpa babysat and tried to teach Tyler chess. :) I hear that Tyler had a little trouble staying focused. Then Grandpa and Tyler went to see The Princess and the Frog.
During our two days together, we enjoyed yummy food, playing Blokus (a new game from Ted and Sue), and putting together Tyler's new Lego sets.

We'll see what the next week brings. Hopefully I'll get motivated to do something productive, like take down Christmas decorations. :) I hope that this Christmas found you with family and friends, and able to enjoy some time away from routine too.

1 comment:

Deb said...

I was just thinking this morning how grateful I am to have a job that follows the school calendar. These two weeks are a complete blessing of rest since we're not traveling this year either. Merry Christmas and I hope that baby comes when you are all relaxed and ready!