Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Almond Toffee

Now that we are on winter break, I have been in the mood for Christmas baking and treat making. I enjoyed trying all new recipes (to me) this year - peppermint meltaways, surprise crinkles, peanut brittle, chocolate caramel pecan bars, butter pecan fudge, and almond toffee (like a Heath bar). Probably the simplest and my favorite is the almond toffee. I didn't intend to make it originally, but found I had enough leftover ingredients to make it. It's probably a good thing that I didn't know before now how easy this is to make!

Almond Toffee - From Women of Great Taste
1 cup butter (no substitute)
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
1 bar (7 ounces) milk chocolate
1/2-3/4 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted

Generously spray or butter a half-sheet cake pan. In a heavy saucepan over medium high heat cook butter, sugar, salt, water and corn syrup to hard crack stage (290 degrees) stirring constantly (I stirred frequently, not constantly) with a wooden spoon. Immediately remove from heat and stir in almonds. Pour into prepared pan and spread mixture to the edges. Cool for at least a few minutes. Microwave chocolate until melted. Spread over toffee and sprinkle with remaining almonds. Chill for one hour. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

Makes 2 1/2 pounds

2 comments:

Kim said...

Mmmmm, that sounds fabulous!!! How are you feeling? Ready to have a baby? I hope your Christmas is wonderful and restful!

StuckeyBlog said...

Yes - I'm definitely ready for the baby to come!!! And I'm trying to remind myself that I'm only 38 weeks. I am enjoying the time away from school to rest. I hope your Christmas is wonderful and restful too!