Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dirty Jobs

It all started innocently enough with a can of peaches (yucky, grayish-brown canned peaches) that I came across in Mom's canning room. I looked around and saw there were more jars that probably needed to be emptied and washed. I asked Mom for permission and got started, keeping many jars aside for recycling.
It was when I got to the canned grapes and grape juice that my suspicions were confirmed. I'd seen these jars many times before. At our "old" house, we had a long chain-link fence covered with concord grape vines. These jars of grape juice would have been canned before the move to this house in 1989. Yeah, that's right, nearly 20 years ago. I didn't check to see whether it had turned into wine. I was too scared to try it. While Mom has canned since then, everything but several jars of tomato juice was pitched into the woods. Sorry lovely animals of the forest! Here is a picture of some of what was removed from the canning room. (I didn't have the energy to compile it all merely for the sake of a picture).


As you can see, I got distracted from my original goal and started removing other items as well. I swept up and we took a big load to the recycling center, and still forgot a pile of jars. I could hear Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs, giving his commentary as I worked. It was definitely a dirty job. I'm glad that it's done. And my hands are still sore (I did this on Monday) from twisting the lids off so many jars. That makes me feel old! But it was worth it!

No comments: