Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Decorated Sugar Cookies


Why the crazy blogging spree yesterday? Well, we made sugar cookies during Thanksgiving break. You know, the get out all of the sprinkles and let the kids play kind of cookie day.
These were easy and so delicious. I wanted to blog the recipe combination to make sure I don't forget. Because these are keepers! But, then I realized that I was more than 6 months behind. Oops. So, basically there were about 37 posts which were photo dumps. But I feel better. And now, to the reason I came here...

There are lots of great sugar cookie recipes. I love a good lofthouse-style cookie that is super soft with over sweet frosting. However, this cookie is a nicely balanced butter cookie, from King Arthur Flour. I've made it lots of times before. It is excellent with the traditional buttercream frosting, rolled in sugar or just plain. We made this batch with this cream-cheese frosting from Averie Cooks. It is not super sweet like many sugar cookies, and I really like it. Like, I can't stop eating them. Therefore, I have to keep them in the freezer. Because, seriously, I.Can't.Stop.Eating.Them.

Here's the recipe:

3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
1/4 cup cream cheese
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1 large egg

1. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar. 
2. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts, and the egg.
3. Add in dry ingredients, mixing at low speed just until evenly combined.
3. Place dough in a plastic bag, form into a disc and refrigerate an hour before rolling and cutting. 
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes, until starts to turn golden brown at the edges. 
Makes 6 dozen 2" cookies.

6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup (half stick) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt 

Beat cream cheese and butter. Beat in powdered sugar and salt. 

No comments: