Friday, August 7, 2009


Last Thursday, July 30, we woke a little before 4 am to catch a 5:30 am flight to Baltimore, Maryland. Despite us all being a little weary, Tyler was still pretty excited about flying to go visit his cousins.

We had a delay on our connecting flight, but made it in with no other glitches. Tim and the two older boys picked us up at the airport.

Tyler and Gabe sat together and immediately started chatting it up. It was nice for Tyler to have someone who shares a mutual love of 4 year-old jokes and conversation. (Example: Why did the chicken cross the road? Why? Because it was a rubber band. Wha ha ha ha ha ha). They pretty much kept one another entertained during our entire 6-day stay.

Tim and Carrie kept us entertained with lots to do. Included in this was visiting the church, Cannon Mennonite, where Tim is the pastor. They also invited Hesston College friends, Weston & Stephanie Yutzy and family, over for dinner one evening. Their two boys joined right in with the boyish fun.

It was good to reconnect with Tim and Carrie and the boys. We had yet to meet baby Zion, who is already 10 months-old. He is quite the little cutie pie. Israel also won our hearts over. He was usually looking to make sure he knew where Wayne was at. He would just sit and chat with us, which was quite endearing. It was also fun to watch Gabe and Tyler play and entertain one another. The first night, we tried letting them sleep together. There was just way too much gabbing going on. :)

Our first full day there, we spent a good part of the afternoon at the pool of a nice family who attends their church.

We spent two days going to the Delaware shore, Cape Henlopen. It was beautiful. The first day, we spent on a very quiet, low area. There were lots of living creatures. We found a large crab, and later witnessed it being a seagull's lunch. There were lots of horseshoe crab shells washed up, tons of snails and little hermit crabs, and lots of fish. (And probably a lot more that we just didn't know about). We visited the nature center, where we could see and touch more of the sea life from that area.

Wayne found this nice-sized conch.

The second day, we spent on the other side where the water was cooler and we had waves. Gabriel LOVED running and splashing in it. Tyler and Israel preferred to examine the intriguing little clams that buried themselves after every wave uncovered them. Tim found a mole crab and Wayne spotted some jellyfish.

Baby Zion, lounging in the sun.

Israel loving it. While he hated sand in his shoes, and being in deep water, the beach's large sandbox was pretty entertaining for him.

When Tyler was irritated with Israel or sometimes who knew why, he would glare at Israel like this. Poor Israel.

On the flight home, we were delayed so long in Baltimore, that we missed our connecting flight by about an hour. Here we are, worn out and waiting for the hotel shuttle.

Tyler wanted to take a picture of me.


Carrie said...

I laughed out loud at that picture of Tyler's "look". :D Too funny.

It sure was great having you guys!! Come back anytime!! :)

Melissa said...

sounds (and looks) like you had a great time! if we were still living in pa we would have come out to see you all too!

Kathy Beachy said...

Looks like there was some quality family time.